Thursday, July 23, 2009

Babyfood...

Stockpiling squash...thanks to Uncle Charles and Bettilu!

I am loving making my own baby food! It is so simple and easy. The Beaba steams, purees, and defrosts. Plus, let's face it what I make looks way more appealing than some of the things that come in a jar! :) I've learned a lot in the last few weeks. For example, peas should not be the drab green that they are in the processed version, instead, they should be bright green. (But so far, AG is not a fan of peas! Or mashed bananas....but he loves to munch on 'em in his teether.) Also, you SHOULD buy carrots in the jar. This is due to the nitrates that are found in carrots...we have no way of pulling them out and they could be toxic for your baby if you make your own.

Tomorrow, Berry will be having its first ever farmers market! I'm excited besides fresh fruit and veggies they will also have milk from Berry's cows and beef from Berry's angus herd. Plus, everything is organic! I'm hoping to be able to stock up on some summer veggies so that I will have enough to last me into the fall. I'm not going to lie I'm excited about the fall veggies that will be available before we know it. So we will see what I end up with.

I've been using the book Cooking for Baby by Lisa Barnes and AG has worked his way through the first section. So we are moving on to the next section which has new recipes and mixtures of foods to introduce new flavor combinations.

AG is a fan of:
Applesauce
Summer Squash
Zucchini
Sweet Taters
Peaches
Carrots
Watermelon (in his teether)
Bananas (in his teether)
Apples (in his teether)

AG is not a fan of:
Peas
Mashed Bananas
Rice Cereal (by itself...we mix it in his squash, zucchini, and peaches)

2 comments:

  1. Gary, It's great catching up with you! What a beautiful family you have.

    I love that you make your own baby food for the grandkids. I am working on making my home more natural and organic. I'm always encouraged when I see others do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make my own baby food. Good for you! AG will be so healthy.

    ReplyDelete