Friday, August 21, 2009

When going green isn't green...

So as people are becoming more "green" many are making the switch to Compact Fluorescent Lamp or CFL bulbs for their homes. Now, I'll be honest and say that I hadn't jumped on the bandwagon because I HATE fluorescent lighting. (If you never saw my dorm room in college or classroom I never used my overhead lighting due to my dislike for the harshness of the light.) Anyways, as we are finalizing the remodel of our kitchen Andy made a trip to our local Home Depot to pick up a few supplies which included some lightbulbs. We took out the CFL bulbs to try them in the new recessed lighting. And I hated the "glow" in my kitchen and we packed them back up to return them. And I didn't think much of it till today when I began reading about CFL bulbs.
I'm all for saving money and energy efficient light bulbs are one way to save on your energy bill. However, did you know...

...that these light bulbs contain mercury? And that if one was to break you potentially would have to call your local department of environmental protection and your local hazardous-material disposal team to clean and detox the area depending on the requirements in your area. (Which can cost thousands of dollars.) Crazy. There is a whole list of guidelines you have to follow if one does break. So while I'm all for being energy efficient and environmentally friendly I will opt for my incandescent light bulbs due to life with an exuberant pup and a soon to be mobile little man. Plus, I just like the way they look. :)

1 comment: