Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Meet AG's GrandMary...


For those of you who don't know this would be AG's GrandMary. She is also known as the Queen of all things Kindergarten and THE Tooth Fairy (I can't even begin to guess how many teeth she has pulled in her 30+ years of teaching.) When I was a student at Berry I was assigned to work in Mary's Kindergarten Classroom at Berry Elementary as my on campus job. It was a match made in heaven. I adored working for her and learning everything I could from her. My sophomore year I even arranged my schedule so that I could work all day Tuesdays and Thursdays for her. She is hands down one of the most talented and gifted teachers I have ever known. She LOVES what she does 150%. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that. Ask anyone who knows her and they will agree with me. I know people dread the day their child goes to Kindergarten...I on the other hand can't wait because I know first hand what an amazing year my child is going to have. It will be one of the most memorable years of his school career.

Mary became one of my dear friends over the course of my time at Berry. And so when we told her two years ago that I was pregnant (after much squealing and excitement) she informed us that AG would call her GrandMary...her grandmother name of choice. I asked how that would work when he came to Kindergarten...she said we'd cross that bridge when we got there. When people ask us if we have family in Rome we always reply with a "yes--in a way" and a smile.

Every year I help Mary get her classroom ready for the upcoming school year. Last week AG and I spent three days helping get things together. This time last year AG played contentedly on a blanket with a few toys. This year he enjoyed exploring every nook and cranny. He mastered climbing the stairs (both ways) to the loft. (Even tested out gravity by throwing a few things from the loft!) Played in the housekeeping area. Colored in the writing center. Admired the fish and turtles. Opened every cabinet to learn what goes where. Even discovered how to use the PC in the classroom. (Which Mary and I were quite impressed with since at home we only have MACs.) Played with the blocks. Tried out a resting mat. Familiarized himself with the art table. Mastered all the chairs in the classroom, how to operate the water fountain in the hall, and putting the boys bathroom pass on and off. If he could go to Kindergarten tomorrow he would. :)

Mary, we love you more than you know! Thanks for being AG's GrandMary. Thanks for being my dear friend. We can't wait for AG to start school.

Ps- I call dibs on being your Room Mom for the school year 2014-2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment