Monday, November 30, 2009

Thankful in the middle of the night...

Well, AG's first Thanksgiving has come and gone and what a memorable one it was. We joined my family at our mountain house this year. We brought one of our college students home with us since he is originally from India. Anyways, the morning of Andy, Viraj, and my cousin Clint joined my Dad for the Turkey Bowl. (My father started the Turkey Bowl close to 30 years ago with a group of his employees from CFA. They all get together and have breakfast at Waffle House before playing a couple of games of football.) Then it was off to the Mountains. We had a delicious meal and despite the weather we braved the winds and ate outside. My father said it made our meal more authentic. Regardless, AG enjoyed eating turkey, ham, mac n cheese, broccoli, apples, and whatever else anyone slid his way. When he was finished he leaned over the side of his highchair to share his remnants with Samson who happily "cleaned" up his brother. We spent the rest of the evening hanging out and playing the Wii. We even got AG's GranNan to join the fun. She did great cycling and bowling...Andy even captured some video with my phone. She's Canadian and he told her to "Do it for Team Canada!" It was fun to watch.

That night due to numbers Andy and I split up...he joined the guys in a room above the garage and I slept in the childhood room I shared with Meg and Caro. It was quite the zoo in the girls room...we had AG in his pack n play, Bear and Murphy (Meg's Yorkies) in a crate and Samson on the floor. At about 3 AG felt that it would be a great time to have a party in his pack n play. Now had we been at home we would have left him in his room and turned off the baby monitor. However, we had so much company in one house I couldn't do that. So I tried for an hour and a half to get him back to sleep before packing him up and going for a drive. We drove all over and Samson rode with me. After driving for an hour we got home and I got him back upstairs...as soon as I put him in his bed he woke up ready to go for round two. at this point I was near tears because I had been up for 2.5 hours and my husband was tucked away in the garage bonus room that can only be accessed via outside. I called and woke him up and he came to join me...we packed AG back up and stuck him back in the car. When we got out to the car Samson gave me a look like "are we really doing this again? We just got back and I've had a hard day of running in the woods." He hopped in and rode with us for another hour. By the time we got back it was almost seven. AG crashed and slept for two hours or so before waking up for good. This would be the first time that AG has EVER done something like this and I guess it caught me off guard. Despite my lack of sleep I was and am grateful. Grateful that my child is here, happy, and healthy. Grateful for a wonderful first year of so many memories. Hard to remember life before him. It was a memorable Thanksgiving.

Here's to Team Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment