Thursday, July 5, 2012

Mommy Gut...

...as a mom you have instincts when it comes to your kids and you are very attuned to their needs. Two years ago this month AG started having these random vomiting episodes. For three weeks it was on and off before we were told it must be a parasite. He was given a high powered anti-fungal and we went about our business. Months passed and he was fine. Then in May of last year he had another attack with two episodes within a couple days of each other. I was a week and a half away from delivering Avi-Kate. Again, we treated it like it was a parasite and he went back on the anti-fungal. Late that summer we had a third attack and that led us back to the GI doctor in Atlanta. At that point AG was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS) and he began taking nightly meds to help control his attacks. This spring we saw the GI doctor and while there I asked if we needed to be concerned about Avi-Kate having CVS. He said that sometimes you have siblings have it and other times not. We'll just have to wait and see.

Well, in my mommy gut I think Avi-Kate has CVS or the precursor to it. She's had three vomiting episodes since last Friday. Every single one of them parallels AG and when he had his 3 week attack. Every single thing about it is identical...I'll spare you the details. Just trust me. :) At the end of the month I'll take her to ATL to see Dr. Saripkin and we'll see what he thinks/pick his brain about this whole ordeal. Today I called the pediatrician and they gave me a prescription for nausea...identical to AG's just in a smaller dose. So, we'll see.

In the midst of all of this AG left a crayon in the dryer and we now have purple crayon on lots of things. Lovely. Did I mention that this happened one of the days when I needed to wash/clean throw-up bedding?! Needless to say this week has not gone the way I planned it, at all. BUT that's ok. At the end of the day and when looking at the bigger picture I'm grateful for what we have. I'm grateful that despite vomiting issues our kids are healthy and thriving. I'm grateful that God isn't done with me and that he's still teaching me big and small lessons daily. My hope and prayer is that she'll stop throwing up between now and the visit with the doctor. And if not, that's ok too. We've become quite the experts at managing vomiting episodes.

I'm off to relax and do some Disney work on this rainy night. (Hallelujah! We needed a good rainy night after all these triple digit temps.)

No comments:

Post a Comment