Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Plantin' for Piper Jean...

For those that have read my blog for a long time you know that I've posted about The Needham Crew and Piper's battle with leukemia. Three years ago, I randomly stumbled upon this blog and the sweet family that was in the midst of a raging storm. Their whole lives had been flipped upside down because their new daughter had been diagnosed with leukemia. I instantly felt connected to them...not that I can even begin to understand what it is like to have a child with childhood cancer but my family is no stranger to the same disease Piper had. When I was in 6th grade my 3 year old cousin was diagnosed with the same type of leukemia. He also completed his treatment at the same hospital as Piper at Scottish Rite. The Needhams live about 45 minutes from where I grew up and in the same college town that my sister went to school at and we hold football season tickets. So, I felt a connection and began to follow along. Daily for the last three years I have thought about and prayed for them. And I have been reminded daily to keep the big picture the big picture. I have gained a heart of gratitude and appreciation for being able to experience the simple things in life daily with my kids because not everyone can. My heart still aches for them and for all that they have experienced but I'm grateful that despite things we can't fathom or understand that God is still sovereign. He's still in control and he has Piper safe in his arms. 

This past Saturday Piper would have been three and Sus posted that she planned to plant flowers for Piper because she loved everything about gardens. She said that if anyone else felt like joining her to send her some pictures. Well, I recently had purchased a crop of sunny rudbeckia that needed to be planted and as soon as I read the post I knew we'd plant them for Piper. Here are some pictures I took along the way. I've since put out a layer of fresh pinestraw around them to finish them off.  I probably should snap a picture of it and post it. Anyways, I put them right off the driveway next to the back of the house. Every single time we walk outside we'll see them since we enter/exit our house from the backdoor. 









Sus--I know we've never met and yet, I feel like we would get along so well. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I'm sure that it is not an easy thing to do. Know that you are all thought about and prayed for daily, still. And know that Piper is not forgotten. These sweet, sunny flowers will serve as a constant reminder of her every year. Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Much love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment