Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The arrival of our little red head!


The Arrival of Austin Gary Edwards

Here is AG’s birth story or as his Aunt Meg would say, “Tiny E’s Wild Ride!”

Well on Friday, the 16th, I went to Kennesaw to get some last minute items that we needed. Andy asked Caroline to join me so that if I happened to go into labor that I would not be in labor by myself. I picked Caro up after she finished her classes at Berry and we headed to Target. After Target we hit the Babies ‘R’ Us and Caroline was overwhelmed with the amount of baby stuff one can find in Babies ‘R’Us! We had fun shopping and I made it home safely without going into labor. That night Andy and I had one last dinner date and we enjoyed spending the evening together. We came home and did last minute things around the house.

The next morning we got up and ran last minute errands around town. Samson went to visit his friend, Mecca, at the Sudsy Puppy to get a bath in honor of AG’s upcoming arrival. That evening our family began to arrive in shifts. My check in time was 8pm at Floyd Hospital. At check in I was 2cm and 50% effaced. I was started on cytotex to finish softening my cervix. After visiting with everyone for several hours we promised to call if anything changed over night.

The next morning they started the pitocin to help regulate my contractions into a consistent pattern. I spent the whole day at 3cm and 75% effaced. That evening at around 6pm they came in and broke my water. At around 7:30 I asked for an epidural because I was so hungry and tired. (And they didn’t think he would be here till the middle of the night at the earliest. Which meant I would only become even more tired and hungry.) My parents went back to the house to check on Samson and wait. By 8 my epidural was in place and they told me they’d come back around 9 to check me again. Around 9:15 they checked me and told me that I had progressed to 6cm and 90% effaced. However, it would still be around 1am they thought before I’d be ready to deliver. My nurse said, “well some women have been known to surprise us!” After she left it Andy headed to the waiting room to spend time with his mom and sister. My sisters stayed with me and within minutes we were laughing uncontrollably. Through my laughter I began to feel lots of pressure but kept telling myself it was nothing since the staff said it was going to take me awhile. At 9:45 I asked Misty to get my nurse because my pressure was extreme with instant nausea. She checked me and I was at 9.5cm! I hit 10cm immediately after she finished. They got everything ready and I began pushing at 10pm. I pushed for 33 minutes and he arrived with his fist on his cheek! The nurses then exclaimed that he had lots of red hair. (Which I was very excited about and had been hoping for the last 9months.)

Andy and I had talked before the delivery that we wanted to surprise my dad with the honor of being able to hold AG first. There were many reasons why…one being that he is named after him. My Dad was completely caught off guard and his face was priceless when we handed him his first grandchild!

We have been blessed beyond measure with this incredible gift from God. Andy and I are so excited to start this new chapter in our lives. (And to share it with all of you!) Thanks to all of you who shared in this occasion with us this weekend at the hospital. Also, thanks for your prayers and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment