Thursday, August 5, 2010

A change is gonna come...

Life and change. These two things go hand in hand. When you experience one the other follows. Over the last two weeks we have been trying to decide what to do about Andy's job situation. For those who don't know Andy's company is relocating to Kennesaw in a week. From our house this is about a 45 minute drive. We've known that this would be a possibility for about two years so when they announced it we were not surprised. However, as we've prayed about what to do these last few months we knew two things. One, that Andy would stay with his job. He's done really well for himself there the last six years. And at the time we didn't see anything else coming along. Two, we don't feel like our time in Rome is up. Meaning that we very much believe that we have lots of work still to do here. (Funny, because when I graduated from college I thought we'd be here two years. Max. The longer we stay the more we never want to leave.) We've established roots here and because of that we opted for Andy to commute rather than relocate our family. For months we had been content with the fact that God was going to continue to provide for us and that there must be a reason for all of this.

A few weeks ago Andy was informed that one of his company's competitors was looking to establish an office here in Rome. And they were looking to do it ASAP. Wow. Well this was a curve ball we didn't expect or see coming. Andy inquired and was given more information. He summed it up like this, "I'm not unhappy with my current company BUT there are things about this new company that are very intriguing to me." He was asked to interview with one of the vice presidents last weekend. It went well. Very well. They extended an offer and Andy accepted it on Tuesday afternoon. The whole thing was a whirlwind. 

So what does this mean for us. Well, it means Andy doesn't have to commute every day to work. He'll now have to travel some but I'd rather have some travel as opposed to a daily commute. He actually can telecommute which brings lots of new opportunities and possibilities. It means Andy has the opportunity to flex some different "muscles" when it comes to his job. New opportunities to grow. And thankfully this change also allows us to stay in Rome. There is something about Rome. We love it. It's an amazing place to raise a family and that's one reason why the longer we stay the more we never want to leave. We are excited. We are grateful. The Lord continues to provide and continues to show us how his timing is perfect. 

Bits and Pieces:
We've said good-bye to several of our graduating seniors but it doesn't really hit that they are gone till the upcoming school year is upon you. This year is no different. But with a new year comes new students and that is exciting. We are excited to see our returning "college family" and we are excited to add some more faces to the mix. I can't believe that they'll all be here in two weeks. I'm ready. However, my art project for the kitchen is not. Andy and I are working hard to get it done before they arrive.

My art project for the kitchen is being created with our students in mind. All last year I wanted to have something in our kitchen to showcase them. Why the kitchen? Because whenever they are over here it usually involves food. :) When we have family dinners they all come early and hang out in the kitchen while I cook. It's where they gather. Also, we take lots of pictures when they are here. I have TONS of photos of them but needed a place where they could be rotated in and out. I'm  looking forward to having this project completed and being able to put it to use right away! So far we've got the doors sanded and prepped. Next comes the painting...which will be involved due to the multiple applications for the chalkboard and then having to paint the area around the chalkboard. After that all we'll have to do is hang them. I better get cracking!

In other projects I painted the guest bedroom headboard earlier today with a crackle glaze and top coat of paint. I'm thrilled with how well it turned out. I've got to let it cure for three days at least before I put the clear coat on top to protect it. I can't wait to get it all together and in the guest bedroom. It makes me want to "crackle" something else. Ha. Pictures to come, I promise.

Lastly, in the midst of all of this, plus AG being sick, I had jury duty this week. And I was actually selected to serve. First time for both. Quite interesting. I feel like I might need to do a post on this by itself. 

So that's us. It's been a wild week. I feel like there is something I'm leaving out but at the moment my brain is fried. When I remember I'm sure I'll post it...

1 comment:

  1. Glad things are working out well for your sweet family. Jury duty is a trip isn't it?

    ReplyDelete