Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A sale on chicken...

...means time to restock the freezer. So, I set up several pots on the stove and got to work. Add some bone-in chicken breasts, onions-halved, celery with leafy tops, carrots, and whole cloves of garlic. Throw in your favorite seasoning...I use Montreal Chicken seasoning by McCormick. Simmer on low until done. Since all of my pots were a different size the cooking time varied for each. Let cool and debone. I saved the cooking liquid and strained it. I then threw it back in the largest pot along with the bones and skin and simmered it for several hours to make my own chicken stock. Let it cool and then strain it again. Let it chill over night in the fridge and skim off the fat in the morning. Afterwards, I froze half of it and then saved the rest for my marathon cooking day when I plan to use up all the chicken that I cooked. Since this is the first time I've made my own stock we'll count this as a new recipe and I'm also going to count poaching chicken as a recipe since I've recently taken that up this year. So, we'll count this as recipes 23 and 24. And when I did my marathon cooking earlier in the year I meant to post about poaching the chicken I just forgot to take pictures. 




No comments:

Post a Comment