Thursday, January 17, 2013

On the run...

This time last year I was almost seven months post-partum with Avi-Kate and I was ready to reclaim my body. I was ready to change it up and lose the rest of my baby weight. In the months immediately following Avi-Kate's birth I gave a  lot of thought to what I could and couldn't do. I needed to do something that I could do at any point in my day and that wouldn't require me to buy equipment. My time with two small kids is valuable. I don't have a lot of time to work on myself but when I do I wanted to be able to be dedicated to follow through without crazy commitments or time requirements. I also wanted something that Andy and I could do together. (At least in the parallel sense since we usually have to trade off watching the kids.)

 And so, I became a runner. Running can be done whenever my schedule allows me...sometimes that's before the kids wake, some days I run on campus with Avi-Kate in the jogging stroller, most times it's in the afternoon around the neighborhood, and sometimes it's late at night on campus or on the track at The Cage. I'll be honest, some days I just don't feel like running but most days I love it. Which is not something I ever thought I'd say. In a year, I've gone from not being able to run a mile without stopping to being able to run miles at a time without stopping. My goal last year was to start running and to at least be training for a half marathon by the end of 2012. Well, despite some set backs with crazy schedules and sick kids I'm going to attempt my first half January 12th. Then I'll turn around a month later and run my second. (Lord willing! Here's hoping I survive my first. Ha.) It amazes me when I look back and think how far I've come in a year. I'm hoping this time next year I'll see even more progress.





I wrote that at the beginning of the month and then didn't get a chance to finish it due to lots of unforeseen stuff that came up. Regardless, I wanted to publish it as is and am so proud to say that I did it! I completed my very first half marathon this past weekend! It was an amazing experience and I plan to post all the details this next week. (I just need to get through AG's birthday this weekend.) So, stay with me. Thanks for baring with me these last few weeks as I had to take a blogging sabbatical. Tonight I have uploaded an insane amount of photos to my Google+ account so that I can get the blog up to speed here's hoping I can hold up my end of the deal. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment