Friday, June 14, 2013

Time to re-evaluate my home management system...

Back in September I did a post about how I stay organized during the year. And that system worked great till the holidays and then everything spontaneously combusted. This spring I felt slightly disheveled and all over the place. (My house reflects this at the current moment as I'm trying to reclaim my space!) After reflecting back on the year I've come to a few conclusions...

-I still like using a file folder system to help me manage life from week to week...like any system it needs some tweaking.

-Since I run my system August to July it's to start figuring out what I want to do for the upcoming year.

-I feel that part of the reason I wasn't able to get back on track was due to how sick my kids were this winter. Honestly, everything was put on hold as we were constantly dealing with one or both kids being sick. Add in some outside extenuating circumstances, running two half marathons, a stress fracture, and unemployment it's no wonder I couldn't keep up with everything.

My current To Do list includes the following:

-Brainstorming planning sheets for said folders...last year I used templates that I found for free online and I purchased a weekly ripoff calendar that I stuck in each folder. I'm trying to decide if I want to take the time to design my own or just repeat what we did last year.

-Scout out and buy supplies. I may replace my folders this year if I can find something that I like. If not, I'll reuse what I have and just get new labels for them.

-I need to rework my desk. It needs a complete overhaul. Ideally, I'd love to claim the desk in our master bedroom as mine because I love the size of it. (It use to be an old library desk/table and has one drawer.) However, it's too big for the den, where my current desk is located, and Andy needs the desk in our room for work since he telecommutes everyday now. One day it'll be my craft table...most likely when we have a different house.

-I feel like I need some sort of home management binder but I am not sure. I like the idea of one, however, I don't know if I'm crazy to try and add another element to my daily routine or if I should wait a bit on it. I'm currently in the process of rereading all of Dawn's posts on home management/File Crate System/organization for ideas and inspiration.


The plan is to work on this over the next few weeks and get everything ready to go for the first of August. I'll post more as I make decisions and get my system for the year in place. In addition to this I've already started thinking about my holiday binder for the year. For years I had read about Dawn using one to help juggle everything during the holiday season and the teacher in me who loves a good system/notebook/something to craft/office supplies loved the idea of such a thing. However, I never got my act together to make one until this past year. The only that I would change is when I make it. This past year I made it the first of December and while it was invaluable during the season I wish I had made it months earlier. Ideally, I'd love to make my notebook for the holiday season this summer and then pull it out when the season is upon us. (With one less thing to hassle with/make/do.) The other reason for this is that I'd love to have a section either dedicated to Thanksgiving or make a separate notebook that is Fall/Thanksgiving since we tend to have lots of special activities that revolve around that season as well. Still mulling this but I love, love, loved having it for Christmas this past year! It was amazing to have a spot for all our Christmas receipts that was organized. As presents arrived we would just stash packing slips in their designated spot. After Christmas it made it easy to give people receipts for exchanges, etc. It was just a nice way to have things recorded and organized for the season. We'll see what I come up with. This year I have a Silhouette and I'm itching to use it to make stuff holiday cut outs. :) Can you blame me...they keep posting Christmas themed items in their weekly clearance shape sale.  This post has gotten to be quite wordy and I need to do some chores. Hope everyone has a good Friday and a great Father's Day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment