Thursday, September 20, 2012

How we stay sane and slightly organized these days...

I mentioned the other day that I had been reading a blog of a mom in Massachusetts for several years now. One of the things that Dawn does to help stay organized is she has created a system using weekly file folders. She calls it her 'File Crate System' and it's a weekly tool to help you stay on top of all the coming/going and the endless paper trail that tends to follow each of us around. This is actually the 3rd year that I have used this system but the first time I've posted about it. The last two years my use of it was spotty due to being pregnant and then having a newborn. However, this year I can't live without it especially since AG is is school five days a week. It has made our transition in to this new chapter of our lives much easier. So, what is it? How do I use it? Why has it made my life easier? 

First, I started with a batch of 52 file folders. (One for every week of the year.) They each get dated and run August-July. I also run my weeks Monday-Sunday. This is a matter of preference you really could do it how ever you wanted to do it. The teacher in me loves starting something new in August because of it being a new year...likewise, I also think of my weeks in terms of the week and the weekend. I like starting fresh on Mondays.
File folders all ready to go. 


On top of my file folder is a sheet that I created using a template at Money Saving Mom. You can tailor it to your preferences. While it's not exactly what I want long term it fits the bill right now. Eventually, I'll restructure it and create my own template...when I have time to really brainstorm/work on it. I also, wanted to test run this sheet first to see if I even liked it before I spent time creating something I may/may not use. I opted to laminate it to make it more durable. (Good decision it survived Avi-Kate throwing the last of her dinner the other night.)


Dawn buys a fresh set of folders each year, however, this is the third year I've used mine. I spent a little more and bought a more durable folder. It is a thicker paper and coated to make it really sturdy. I use post-it reposition-able tabs to re-label them. I looked for some new folders this summer just to change it up but I didn't find any I liked better and mine are still in perfect condition so I am using them again. 

When you open it on the left side you find my week-at-a-glance calendar. I found this template at Target in the office section. Last year I used a different one and it was just ok. Again, I was going to design my own but before I could I found this one. I LOVE this calendar. Behind it is my monthly/annual cleaning checklist that I personalized at Money Saving Mom. (I just started using it this month. I realize not everything will always get done but it's nice to have a place to keep track of things.) Earlier this week I realized I should have 'Wipe Down Kitchen Cabinets' in the monthly section. When I re-create my own it will be added and in case anyone is wondering I did wipe down my cabinets for this month. :)

Next on the right side you find my Notes and Bits page. Just a simple piece of notebook paper that I put sticky notes on. I am always writing things on sticky notes so if I jot something down I can add it later to my folder. Also, if I need to pull it out and post it somewhere as a reminder I can. Sometimes I'll even jot down memorable quotes from AG. It's just a simple catch-all paper. 



Behind my Notes page is AG's school calendar for September. Each week it gets moved to the next folder so that I have it if I need it. I also have a coupon attached to it that we earned from ordering books from Scholastic to apply to our next order. Which made ordering books for this month a breeze because the coupon was right at my fingertips! 


And then behind that goes anything and everything else that we need to save from the week. (Receipts, notes, packing slips, you name it if it needs to be saved it goes here.) All of AG's school papers get filed here once they come off his bulletin board in the play area. 

Now, the big question...how do I maintain this? On Thursday, on a good week, I'll pull out the next week's folder and start working on my calendar for the week. I'll make a post-it with possible ideas for dinner for the next week so I can start brainstorming ideas while I look at ads/coupons. However, some weeks are insane and it won't get pulled out till the weekend sometime. By Sunday I will file away AG's papers and any loose papers that haven't been filed. I will also move anything that needs to be moved to the next week's folder...my checklist, AG's school calendar, etc. The folder then goes back in to my filing cabinet which sits next to my desk. Also, I will file stuff ahead of time to use later. For example, Avi-Kate had a check-up two weeks ago and they printed me a reminder for her next check-up in December...that sheet is now filed away in the folder for that particular week. A coupon for Bath and Body Works that I received in August that was good for the month of September was filed away in the first September folder. You get the point.

My folder for the current week sits on top of my desk where I have easy access to it and can see it every single day. When we travel it gets tucked in to my travel bag so that I have it if needed. Whew! There you have it. A crash course on how we are keeping things slightly organized around here these days. I will say that I am really LOVING this system. It has been invaluable as we've transitioned in to school and all the additional papers that comes with school. At the end of the year I sift back and look over our year and it's pretty neat to see what we were up to, what we ate, random mementos, etc. I can also pull anything that I might need for the upcoming year and re-file it away. If you have questions let me know...I'd love to answer them if I can. :) 








No comments:

Post a Comment