Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fall Learning...

Since fall is now officially upon us and it's finally starting to feel fall-ish here's a little of what we are working on. Learning at home is really important to me and the teacher in me is really enjoying creating simple activities and spaces for our kids to learn from/in. Our kids are young and as such most of what we do is self directed by what they are interested in. (In my education classes they'd describe this as Developmentally Appropriate Practice...I'm sure Evan and Lori are laughing at me as they are reading this post.) Anyways, I may not have a classroom but I still love to teach. :)

I ordered a bunch of new fall books and a fall activity for AG with his Scholastic book order. The Chicka Chicka puzzle is stashed away for Christmas. We have a pretty substantial library of childrens books due to me starting my collection all the way back in high school. My goal is to really start adding lots of seasonal books. I have a decent collection of Christmas books but that is it as far as seasonal stuff. Anyways, all that to say that I ordered lots of fun fall books to put on our shelves. I also pulled out all the fall books we had and currently have all the books on the play table in the play area of the den. I am on the hunt for a basket to make it our official 'book basket' for seasonal learning. 

We have a bulletin board hanging in the play area that I'm currently showcasing AG's work on from school. When something comes home it gets dated and added to the board. Over the weekend I'll pull everything off and file it away in my weekly file folder. (More on that in the next post. Finally!) I've toyed with adding a board to put seasonal stuff, projects we do here, Avi-Kate's artwork on, etc. I just haven't gotten that far, yet. 

Since the first day of fall is this weekend we are making fall cookies this week together. I need to make the dough so it can chill in the fridge before we roll it out. Then we'll bake and ice them to take to the farm this weekend. We are also looking to go to the pumpkin patch in the coming weeks I just need to decide where. In another week or so we'll head to pick up fall flowers for the flower pots. (I've been delaying this because I want the mums to be in full bloom for Mtn. Day Weekend.) AG really likes helping plant flowers and wearing his gardening gloves that Nanny bought for him. There you have it...a little bit of what we have been up to and have on tap for the weeks ahead. I'm already mulling fun plans themed for Thanksgiving/Christmas. Crazy, I know. (sigh) The holidays will be here before we know it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment