Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas Planner 2012

So, I'll just go ahead and admit that I meant for this post to be posted two weeks ago and it didn't happen. The photos were taken and ready to go and then life became wild aka everyone got sick and things were thrown by the wayside. Today I'm attempting to get things up to speed and of course Google/Blogger decided to throw me a curve ball that I am out of space to post pictures. Thankfully, Andy is working from home today and my mini-crisis (to me) has been averted. Here we go...

Planners. Oh, how I love them. I think it's the teacher in me that just has an infinity for planners/organizers. For the last few years I have wanted to make a holiday planner but the time got away from me and I never was able to get my act together. I then would promise myself that I would get one together next year. Anyways, this year the stars aligned and I got one together. I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out. Originally, I was planning to make a notebook like I have for our vacations but I decided that I really wanted something that I could pull out next year to reference. (And the thought of storing lots of binders over the years seemed silly. When we finish a vacation all of my planning pages are pulled out, clipped together, and placed in a folder in case I need to pull something from them for a future trip...like when planning Disney trips things get pulled/referenced. All this to say that our vacation pages don't stay in the binder.) So, I wanted something that was more like a scrapbook that I could pull out to see what we did this year, I wanted something that was compact and easily stored, and I wanted something that was functional/easily used. I settled on making a brown paper bag notebook like I use to use in my classroom when I was a teacher. These notebooks are great because you can make them for nothing and they are quite versatile. I will say that years ago brown paper bags were bigger and a standard size piece of notebook paper fit inside perfectly. I ended up having to trim my papers to fit the space but that wasn't a huge deal since I used my paper cutter to make quick work of it. Here's a quick tour and if anyone has interest in me doing a post on how to make the actual notebook step by step let me know. :)

For the cover I settled on this piece of scrapbook paper with red birds on it. My grandmother loved red birds and I have collected lots of red bird ornaments over the years. Since I'm using it daily I am using simple rings that open/close to hold everything together. At the end of the holidays I'll change them out for some ribbon or twine. I'll also switch out the binder clip for a bit of velcro.


Due to the way the notebook is constructed you naturally end up with two pockets on either side to store items in. When I was a teacher we would make these for different units and the pockets came in handy for storing flashcards, games, manipulatives, etc. The pocket on the left has different odds and ends. Information from our trip to the Pink Pig. ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas schedule. Etc.
I love that it lays flat when it is open. The space on the left now holds sticky note reminders. And I then took some scrapbook paper and left over brown bag pieces to make some tabbed dividers. My notebook this year has the following sections: Advent and Jesse Tree, Advent Sundays, Christmas Card, Decorating (Inside and Out), Gifts, Shopping (Food), Baking, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Activities and Traditions, To Do List, and a blank one in case I think of something else I need to keep track of at the last minute. :)



I came across this Martha Stewart Checklist on Dawn's Blog and printed it off and then clipped it in to my notebook so that I could reference it as need be. 
The back pocket houses coupons and all of my receipts. As we buy stuff I just stash it back here in case we need it later for whatever reason.  
And here is my brainstorming that I started a few weeks ago for AG's gifts. Avi-Kate's is now listed below it. Our children receive three gifts from us because Jesus received three gifts. One of the kids gifts this year are books. Each child will have a present under the tree and inside it will be three new books. (Running with the whole three theme.) In addition to their three gifts, they also receive Santa presents or as Andy likes to say gifts from 'SC'. In general SC gifts are for them to share, however, this year we are giving them things that are identical or that relate to each other. AG wants a pillow pet and they'll fight over it if we don't give Avi-Kate one too. So, I found a deal on the Disney Store website  a few weeks ago and got them matching ones. AG wants a monorail and Avi-Kate wants a castle so they'll get those. You get the idea. Stockings usually hold little items and a movie or two for the family to enjoy together. Since I've taken this picture we finally settled on what all we are buying and I've mapped it out in the notebook. Complete with check marks next to the items once we've purchased them. 

Last night I did some work in my planner trying to map out different activities to do with AG and Avi-Kate each day between now and Christmas. Each day I post what we are going to do on one of the chalkboards in the kitchen. I'll post my list once I get it finished...if you want some inspiration check out Dawn's past posts on Advent fun here and here

What things do you like to use to help you stay organized during this busy time of the year? I'm off to prep lunch, switch out the laundry, and create a grocery list but I'll be back again soon with more posts from the last two weeks. Happy Monday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment