Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fall is just around...

...the corner. Ah, fall how I love thee. The next few months are by far my favorite of every year. Fall brings with it it's own distinct smells, sounds, and colors that slip us right into Christmas. Like I said, this is my favorite time of year.

Around the house:
-I'm slowly pulling out fall stuff and redecorating. I'm working on a new display for the cabinet above the fridge. I need a new tablecloth for the dining room and some baby pumpkins to complete my tablescape.

-I need to take inventory of my fall candles and put those out. I bought a FABULOUS new candle tonight. "Leaves" by Slatkin & Co. If it burns the way it smells I'm going to have to buy a few more. I'm going to go out on a limb and put it in the same category as my Christmas Yankee Candles.

-I'm praying the weather cools off and Berry sends me a date for the fall plant sale. My planters are in sad shape after the relentless heat of August.

-I've pulled out of the attic some old bulletin boards. I'm going to give the frames a fresh coat of black paint and then hang 'em up in AG's play space in the den. As he gets older I'm sure I'll get more elaborate with what I put on these boards. For now I'm planning to keep it simple and put up some different fall prints that I have. Several of which were taken in Williamsburg. Pictures to come on this little project.

-I started a new weekly planning system to try and keep our chaos to a minimum. So far so good. (I started at the beginning of August.) I'm really enjoying it and it helps me plan menus for the week, keep up with papers, week to week projects, planning ahead, etc. I've always said that classroom management and household management are one and the same. Over the summer the chaos became too much for me and I began to research some ways to keep it to a minimum. I recognize that life with children is hectic but you have to be able to manage what you can and go with the flow. I've tweaked it to my liking and I probably should do a post all about it.

-This past spring I began mulling the idea of putting a desk/work space in our bedroom. At the time Andy said for us to put it on hold and we'd come back to it. Well, since Andy has taken his new job we've quickly realized the need for a desk in our room. Now that he is telecommuting he needs a place to work during the day. Last Monday, I told Andy I was heading to my favorite antique store and if I found a steal then I'd bring it home...otherwise we'd keep looking. Well, there is a reason this is my favorite antique store, it never fails me! I walk in and the first piece I see looks like something out of Restoration Hardware/Pottery Barn. It's an old library table. It has a large work top, one long drawer, and simple legs. It's solid, gorgeous, and it was screaming for me to take it home. I immediately sent Andy a picture of it. He told me to talk the guy down. It was originally $188 with a chair. I got it for $135. I loaded it in to the truck and hauled it home. I was so excited I even power sanded it, cleaned it, and primed it that afternoon. Andy painted it the next two days and then distressed it. It's perfect. We went ahead and set it in our room. We are planning to rearrange some furniture, I need to get a lamp for it, and then I'll post pics. But for now it is already being put to good use. Hands down probably the fastest turn around on a refinishing project in the Edwards house to date. Have I mentioned that I love it?! I do. And I think one of the reasons why I love it is that it is such a versatile piece. It can be used in a foyer, landing, hallway, as a console table, playroom, kids rooms, etc. Lots of possibilities. Perfect. I love possibilities.

-Speaking of meal planning, I'm excited about fall baking and fall comfort food. I've got lots of new recipes to try out this fall. Also, being the goal oriented person that I am I've got a running list of goals to accomplish in my kitchen. One of which is baking an apple pie from scratch. So with my trusty KitchenAid and fabulous food processor on board I'm tackling the apple pie this fall. Andy wants me to try it several times and perfect it for the holidays. :o) Guess I better get to practicing.



Lots more to blog about in the coming days. Stay tuned. Life is good. Fall is in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment