Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pulled the trigger...can't believe we did it...

We have been planning to do some changes around the house this summer. And some of those things I've been planning for probably close to two years. Seriously. We've really gotten on the bandwagon of paying cash for things including big items. Well, that requires saving, patience, and lots of research to make sure when you do spend the money it is well spent.

Last night was a big night in the Edwards household! Andy came home with a new tv for the den AND a new tv arrived via Amazon for our bedroom AND we ordered a new couch that we've been eyeing for YEARS! Not going to lie it was really weird because we've been working towards all of this for a couple years so to pull the trigger and do it was very surreal. Here's how it all went down:

DEN
-Our big tv started having problems two years ago around the time Andy switched companies. And it was not really in the budget to replace it so we lived with it, quirks and all, for a year. Last summer it died completely. We tried fixing it but no dice. And after lots of research Andy found that the problem we had was quite common with this tv. Which is ironic because we have the same tv in a smaller size for our living room and haven't had an issue with it. (Knock on wood!) We bought the big one because we liked the little one so much. Funny. Anyways, we just made do with the little tv which is still big at 32". It has been floating between the living room and the den this last year depending on what we are doing. Well, yesterday Andy bought his new 'big man replacement tv' and he and AG were happy to test it out last night. AG was in awe of the 3D! Ha. He wore his Ron Potter glasses last night over the ones the tv came with. :) The biggest lesson learned? It's probably a great thing we waited two years to buy it. We got a really good deal on a 3D tv that would have been way more expensive two years ago. And as Andy likes to remind me the 3D technology has improved greatly over the last few years. Big success. We both looked at each other last night and said I can't wait for football season! Ha.

-Sofa, sofa, we need a sofa. Well, we have been eyeing sofas from Pottery Barn since we got married but they have been out of our price range. Plus, there were other things that took precedent in remodeling our house. If you've ever been in our den you know that it is deep but very narrow. Think long skinny rectangle. Due to how narrow it is I never even entertained the idea of a sleeper sofa. I really just assumed it was too narrow. Enter this past winter when we entertained a large group of people and I decided we really needed more bed space. Sofa bed is a short term solution and the long term solution is moving. We are hoping to begin looking in the near future but for now this helps. (More on moving in another post for another day!) Well, I decided to measure and see if it would be possible to put a sleeper sofa in our den and you know what?!?!? We can. It'll take up the whole space but we can do it. So, guess what? I bought a sofa last night with a sofa bed. AND I got 15% off my entire order thanks to a sale that was ending last night. WAHOO! The only downside, which really isn't a downside because it is a good thing, is that it will take 6-8 weeks to get to us because each piece is custom made. My hope is that it will be in before the students return at the end of August. Next up is for me to decide on the fabric for the chair that I'm having recovered. Best get on that now that I've bought the sofa. When I get it all put together in the next few months I'll post pictures. I kept measuring and remeasuring last night to make sure before I placed the order. (Even though I've measured countless times and we sit on the sofa every time we go in a PB.) Again, it was weird to actually do all of this.

MASTER BEDROOM
-We've had my small, old box style, tv from college in our bedroom. I told Andy that for Father's Day we'd gift him a new tv for our room. Notice, I said gift him. Yes, my husband ordered his own present because I knew that if I bought something there was a high probability that it would have to be returned. Ha. So, we have a new tv for our bedroom. Nothing fancy but it works perfect for what we want it to do. I can't get over the difference in size! It's actually two inches bigger in the screen than the old one but due to how slim it is it seems really, really small! So, we set it up yesterday as well.

LIVING ROOM
-A few weeks back, when we cleaned out my Grandmother's estate, we came home with a new to us entertainment cabinet. At the time the 32" tv was residing in the den and so the cabinet sat empty. Well, due to the arrival of the new tv for the den Andy was able to move the 32" back in to the living room. AG has been ecstatic about this decision because he can now play the Wii and his Disneyland Kinect game. The tv fits the cabinet perfectly. I'm quite pleased with how it looks.

So, there you have it. Changing things up. I can't wait till the end of the summer when the couch arrives! :) Happy Wednesday. I'll be back soon with more comings and goings.

No comments:

Post a Comment