Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Freezer Cooking and Reorganizing...

Another day and another picture-less post. (sigh) Oh, well. Life goes on...that's what I'm telling myself any way.

Over the course of the last few weeks I've been tackling simple house projects that have been in need of tackling but at the time had been pushed to the side. Now with AG in school I actually have time to tackle simple tasks and see them to completion without interruptions. The other day I pulled EVERYTHING out of the freezer. I threw away everything that was past it's prime and began to reorganize the inside. I also made a list of everything that I have in the freezer at the moment on hand. I'm easing back in to my freezer cooking routine for the school year since I took a break for the summer. Here's what I found:

-Roasted Tomato Base (I slow roast onions, garlic, and tomatos in the oven then use my food processor to chop it all up...great base for marinara, meat sauce, tomato soup, pizza sauce, etc.): 5 containers
-Chicken Tortilla Soup: 2 containers
-Meat Sauce: 1 container
-Bubba Burgers: 1 box
-Taco Meat: 1 container
-Black bean, Corn, and Chicken Salsa: 1 container
-Rolls: 1 bag
-Garlic Toast:1 box
-Peas: 4 bags
-Corn: 2 bags
-Mixed veggies: 1 bag
-Green Giant Roasted Potatoes: 1 box
-Popsicles
-Various nuts...we keep all of nuts for cooking in the freezer so that they don't spoil.

In the last week I have also managed to put away:
-2 shepherds pies
-6 chicken pastinas

Later this week I will be making a batch of chili for dinner one night and I should be able to put away at least one container to put in to my freezer stash. A good thing about the approaching season is that lots of comfort foods that we associate with fall tend to freeze well. So, I will continue in my habit of making stuff in bulk and putting away here and there. Once I get everything stocked I can actually cook one or two meals a week and then pull from the freezer for the rest. Those one or two meals then become meals that can also replenish the stash. I have friends that do Once-A-Month-Cooking and I'll admit I admire their stamina but prefer putting things away a little as I go. I hate being a slave to my kitchen for a few days a month to cook everything. This way there is less mess and less cleanup...which in turn means more time on other things. Does anyone else have a freezer system they like?

No comments:

Post a Comment