Friday, January 28, 2011

Two years old? Already?

Yep. Hard to believe. We went last Thursday for his two year appointment with our fabulous pediatrician. (She was very excited to hear that AG was going to be a big brother to a little sister this summer!) She informed me that I didn't look pregnant which I'll take as a compliment considering I'm halfway. :o)

AG did great for his check-up! He weighs 33 lbs...yes, 33! Little chunker. That puts him in the 93rd percentile for his weight. He is now 34 inches tall and in the 34th percentile for his height. And his head is 50cm placing him in the 83rd percentile for head circumference. It was surreal watching them take his height and weight standing up like a big boy for the first time!

She was extremely impressed with his development, speech, and his ability to communicate. I had to fill out a questionnaire about all the skills, things he can do, etc. He met everything above average. The only thing that he didn't exceed was threading objects on a string. Which developmentally is a skill for older children. We've started threading chunky colored shaped beads on a string every once in awhile but it's not a skill that I'm pressing at the moment. And for that matter I haven't pressed any skills on him at this point. At this age they learn best taking in the world around them and expanding on their interests. Everything else will fall in to place. I've been collecting manipulatives for him to use with guidance since before he was born. I'm slowly bringing those things out and we use them together in small increments when he's interested.

She said to go ahead and start working on potty training when I feel up to it. She said she doesn't think it will take him long to catch on. We'll see. :o)

Andy and I have three big goals for this year for AG...the first is to drop his paci. Which we are getting ready to do. The next will be to completely transition to his big boy bed. Some days he sleeps in it and some days he is in his crib. Our last one is to be potty trained by his third birthday so that he can go to preschool next January at Berry. The arrival of his sister this summer necessitates the first two. We want several months paci free before Avi-Kate arrives and we offer her one. Also, she needs the crib and Mommy needs to do her nursery. :o) And while I'd love for him to be potty trained before she arrives I'm not going to put that kind of pressure on myself. We have so much else going on this spring already. Would I love for him to be yes but I'm not going to throw that on my plate on top of everything else. I want to tackle the first two goals before we even contemplate this one. And honestly I have till next January to accomplish it.

Little man--can't believe you are already two! You are going to be a great big brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment